Jerry Jones is a prominent figure in American sports. He is known for owning the Dallas Cowboys, a highly recognized football team in the NFL. Besides, his business acumen and management style have significantly impacted the sports industry.
However, Jerry Jones is not solely focused on football. He also has interests in sports business and entertainment. His significant influence has left a lasting impact on modern sports management.
Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Cowboys Football team, Papa John’s franchise, Comstock Resources, and invests in hospitality management. He bought the NFL team for $150 million in 1989. It was one of the highest prices ever paid for an NFL team then. In addition to the Cowboys, Jerry Jones owns AT&T Stadium, the team’s home venue.
- Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Cowboys football team, which was purchased for $140 million in 1989.
- Jones’s primary source of wealth comes from his investments in the oil and gas industry.
- Jones owns around 14% of Frisco Oil and has a stake in Comstock Resources.
- He and his wife own 51% of the Cowboys, while their three children own the remaining 49%.
- Jones’s estimated net worth is approximately $15 billion from various business ventures.
There is more to all this. So, keep reading to learn more about Jerry Jones’ business venture. Besides, we will discuss his income statements from investments and companies here. Then, let’s get started.
What Company Does Jerry Jones Own?
Jerry Jones owns several companies. He wants to invest and make his way through. Besides, he knows how to be a perfect businessman. All of his companies’ brief discussions have been given below to know better at a glance:
- Dallas Cowboys Football Team
- Oil and Gas company
- Comstock Resources
- Papa John’s franchise
In 1989, Jerry Jones bought a losing team, Dallas Cowboys Football Team for $140 million. In 2004, he became a billionaire. Then, the football team was worth $8 billion. Then let’s think it out first: How much did Jerry Jones dedicate himself to the team?
Many people think Jerry Jones is popular and raises money because of his football team. However, the oil and gas company helped him grow his wealth significantly.
After completing his graduation, he studied oil and gas drilling. Jones launched his Arkansas-based company, Jones Oil and Land Lease. In 1986, he sold the oil company for $175 million.
Jones currently owns a 14% stake in Frisco Oil and has become a gas explorer of Comstock Resources. His investments raised $1.1 billion in 2019.
Papa John’s franchises around 90 restaurants from Jerry Jones’s company called Sun Holding Expands.
Also Read: What Business Does Matt Gaetz Own
What Oil Companies Does Jerry Jones Own?
Jerry Jones owned Jones Oil and Land Lease company. From here, he makes over $300 million. With this money, he gets his hand on the most famous football team in the USA, Dallas Cowboys. He always had a thirst for business, which helped him to get tons of wealth through oil companies.
After completion of his college life, he launched his first Arkansas-based oil company, Jones Oil & Land Lease. He propelled from his 12 wells at that time. With his first well yielding, Jones made $4 million in oil. It was the beginning of his journey.
In 1982, something had changed. It was his first significant breakdown. The Arkoma Production purchased lands with natural gas reserves for only $15 million. In 1986, Jones sold his oil company for $175 million. With this money, he bought the Dallas Cowboys.
Besides, Jerry Jones once confirmed that gas is his primary source of income, but the Cowboys were not the primary source. “The great wealth is in the oil and gas but not the Cowboys.”
What Percent of the Cowboys Does Jerry Jones Own?
Jerry Jones and his wife get a 51% share of the Dallas Cowboys. And their three children get the rest of the 49% share equally. The three children and the wife of Jerry Jones play an essential role in the Dallas Cowboys.
Jerry Jones’s family turned a money-losing team into a ten-billion-dollar empire. It is not just any regular business; he is more like a passionate business strategist who can achieve anything. Before 1989, the Dallas Cowboys lost over a million dollars. But now, they are not anymore.
How Much Money Does Jerry Jones Make from the Dallas Cowboys?
In 1989, Jerry Jones purchased the most famous football team in America, the Dallas Cowboys, for $140 million. As of today, the Dallas Cowboys are worth around $10 billion. An owner of a football team can earn money in several ways. They are –
- By selling tickets
- TV contracts
- National merchandise
In addition, Jones obtained separate sponsorship deals with American Express, Nike, Pepsi, and Dr Pepper for the independent stadium without the permission of the NFL’s licensing division.
This move led to a lawsuit in 1995, where the NFL sued for $300 million, claiming that the partnerships breached the league-wide sponsorship agreements. In response, Jones filed an antitrust suit, counterclaiming $750 million.
Despite not receiving a financial award, Jones was victorious in the settlement with the NFL in December 1996. This outcome granted teams greater autonomy over their marketing rights. Jones’s victory was just the beginning.
How Much Does Jerry Jones Earn Over the Past Few Years?
The Cowboys football team is not the only factor in Jones’s success. 85% of his $5.2 billion fortune 2017 came from the football team. His net worth has since grown by 63%, though.
Numerous businesses are responsible for this expansion. Jerry Jones’s assets in commercial real estate have grown by 17%, while the Cowboys have increased by 23%.
Additionally, the value of his natural gas holdings, which include a stake in the publicly traded Comstock Resources and his privately held gas company Arkoma, has increased by 115% in the past year to a total of $4.3 billion.
Jerry Jones has an estimated net worth of $15 billion thanks to his business ventures.